The Design Commission was established in 2014 to recognise outstanding innovation and achievement by young Emiratis in the fields of design and architecture. The competitive award seeks to nurture potential and encourage creative practice by providing a launch-pad for emerging designers and architects across the UAE.
Admission and selection criteria
- Submissions are welcome from Emirati nationals aged between 18 and 35 years.
- Each application must be supported by a nominator.
- Group Applications are accepted of up to 2 members.
- Nominator and Applicant are requested to submit a completed application form together with a design proposal in the category of Applied Arts (Interior design, industrial design, graphic design, or architecture)
- A jury selects the winner and shall be looking for the following attributes in entries:
Concept Development, Feasibility of Design, Functionality and usefulness, Creativity and Originality, and Overall Aesthetic.
- The winner receives a fully paid international professional development opportunity tailored to his/her career.
- The winner will attend the Award ceremony which may take place during the Abu Dhabi Festival in March 2019 and receive a certificate.
- The winning work will be displayed in one of the Abu Dhabi Festival venues in March 2019